Skincare and Makeup

It seems like almost overnight since turning 40, I've started to look my age. Gah. Maybe it's breastfeeding and lack of estrogen associated with that, but my skin is so insanely dry. In November I bought Clinique's Youth Surge (separate night and day creams) in the extra dry formula and really liked it. But I had previously tried Rodan + Fields, as my friend sells it, and loved how it improved my skin tone and texture. So I went back to it, only to find it was so drying compared to the Clinique. Back it went, sadly. I sniffed around and found Paula's Choice, a skincare site where she reviews skin care lines and gives actual helpful advice, as opposed to someone just shilling for the company they got the free stuff from (have you ever seen those horrid "Mommy review" youtube videos where they "review" the stroller, etc. that they got -- insert eyeroll. Shockingly, ever review is stellar). Anyway, the site is really helpful. Based on their recommendation, I got the AHA+ cream from Acne.org; it's alpha hydrox plus glycolic acid. I really like it and it's safe for breastfeeding. It was sting-ey at first, so I mixed it with the DD+ lotion for a while until my skin got used to it. Now I just use that as a layer under my Youth Surge.

My eyes are showing my age the most, so I've had to experiment with various eye creams. I'm OK with showing lines, but the crepey skin/looking exhausted all the time is uh, not my fave look. I was using All About Eyes Rich for a loooong time, but I ran out and my mascara was running all the livelong day, so I decided to get the All About Eyes depuffer, and use the repairwear eye cream at night (I had a sample, so that was easy). The depuffer is amazeballs. I keep it in the fridge and use it while I'm waiting for my Keurig to warm up every morning. The repairwear is nice, but I'm honestly not seeing a huge difference. I'm going to look into a more moisturizing eye cream to wear at night, and maybe I'll wear the repairwear during the day.

Ok, onto makeup. People, get over to Maskcara.com immediately. Watching her makeup videos has really changed the way I apply makeup. She did a whole series on where/how to highlight/contour (HAC) your face based on its shape (I'm a diamond). I don't use her products for the highlighting and contouring (HACing): I use Bobbi Brown bronzer and Becca Shimmering Pearl, but I did take her recommendation of buying the NYX Taupe pencil for contouring my nose, and it is indeed really great and the perfect shade. Plus, $4 from Amazon? Ok then. I'm finding that even if I just do the HACing with mascara and blush, along of course with my Bobbi Brown concealer routine, I don't look all made up but just look like a refreshed, well-rested (hahahahah) version of myself. Word. 


Comments