Prepared for Battle

One of my biggest strengths, I think anyway, is preparing for battle. I thrive on carving out steps needed and feel a huge sense of accomplishment as I achieve mini goals to get me ready.

I bought two books to prepare me for a repeat C-section, and I really, really like both of them. I learned a LOT from the first one. Since the last time I did this I was beyond exhausted, terrified and already drugged up, I don't remember the details.

The first book walked me through every part of what to expect, including medication (spinal block vs. epidural, with pros/cons for each, the tip that some anesthesiologists give morphine that will last 18-24 hours as well so that you can be up and walking, which is KEY to not only preventing blood clots and pneumonia but also encouraging good circulation and thus promoting healing time), the time for the procedure (about 5 minutes until baby is born after cutting begins, with the remaining 40 minutes or so being stitched up), and the best way to encourage breast feeding right out of the gates, and how to say no to a whole lot of things when you get home (this will unquestionably be the hardest part for me).

I'm feeling really, really good about things. I have a list of questions for my doc when I see her Feb. 15, and have a rough outline of instructions for my parents who are thankfully taking over while I'll be in the hospital for four days. I'm making our packing list for the hospital bag and a bulleted birth plan of sorts, where Pete and I will put down our preferences around the birth and accompanying days (breastfeeding, circumcision, etc.).

I haven't finished the other book, but it focuses less on the actual procedure and hospital and more on the recovery, including fitness and nutrition. (But the first book also has exercises, such as breathing exercises, to do the first day in the hospital to promote healing.) I don't expect to be deadlifting even three months after my C-section. I just don't. I might be doing some home workouts by then, with squats, pushups, lunges, dips but I know I won't be back in the gym by then. Adjusting to being a working mom with two kids is going to take a while too).

Given the terrible recovery last time, it's comforting in some way to know that there are some positive things I can do to encourage a quicker recovery (walking, walking and more walking, sleeping tons, and great nutrition). Hooray for feeling empowered.

Comments