So This Happened Last Monday

Last Monday we returned from Delaware. I said to Pete on the way home, do you think I should take a pregnancy test? No, he said and something along the lines of seems pointless. We came home to my in-laws, started unpacking our stuff, etc. We had a busy day: it was my FIL's birthday, so we had reservations at a nice restaurant in Rockridge at 5:30, and I had acupuncture at 3. Around 2 p.m., I went to get in the shower and dug out my last Clear Blue easy digital test. I figured what the hell. I'll know, I can take a shower and possibly cry in it, and we'd hope for better luck this next month. I peed on the stick, then went to talk to my MIL about something. I came back into the bathroom. 



Um. 

What?  

I am not exaggerating when I say I had 5-6 glasses of wine the previous Saturday night at my high-school reunion. I did not think in any way, shape or form I was pregnant. We figured this month was a wash since my lining wasn't looking thick enough. After I saw the test result, I texted Pete from the bathroom, since I wasn't sure I wanted to tell his parents who are staying with us. He sheepishly said go get a blood test.

I went and had a blood test. My HCG was 221, two days before my period was expected. Squeee. Two days later, I had a repeat: 580. Three days later I had a repeat: 2522. *We are trying not to freak out that those numbers could be on the high side and possibly indicative of twins.*

We are elated. So very surprised and elated. I'm continuing acupuncture twice a week, and will continue to have blood tests every three days (at my urging to feel OK about things). I'm taking it one day at a time. No due dates, first trimester circles on calendars, etc., just when's my next blood test, and then we'll see how things go. 

I'm also happy to report that I'm continuing lifting weights, though not as heavy. I've talked with my coach a few times since last Monday, and anytime I do anything for 30 minutes, I get to count it as exercise. Which meant Saturday's jaunt to windy and why-is-it-so-cold-here SF on Saturday, where we walked and walked and walked some more, counts. I'm also taking that one day at a time with workouts and seeing how I feel. For now, I'm feeling good and still kicking ass, though lowering the intensity and remembering that I'm taking care of a widdle Skittle in there too.

First ultrasound is scheduled for Aug. 20. 


Comments

  1. Oh wow! One day at a time, but I am so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Heather! So happy for you guys. I'm so glad you are letting yourselves be happy and taking it one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SUPER excited for you...and praying that those awesome incredible numbers continue the way that they're supposed to and that little baby Hansen keeps growing strong :-) You deserve some good numbers, friend...you've had enough bad numbers for a few lifetimes. Grow baby grow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks. I thought of you this morning as I had my blood drawn. Grow baby grow!

      Delete
  4. So happy for you, Heather. I like the 'one day at a time' mentality. Though you know I will be praying like crazy that all continues to go well for you.

    Hmmm....must be something about Maryland. I unknowingly was pregnant with Jack at a wedding in Maryland. Drank lots, danced like a mad woman (like crazy out of control drunk dancing), became strangely obsessed with coffee for the weekend & drank my weight in coffee (& then completely lost my taste for it after I found out I was pregnant) and downed tons of Sudafed since I got a bad cold on the flight back. Got home & took a pregnancy test on a fluke--Tom insisted I was pregnant & I took it to shut him up. Well, well, well...overboard crazy fun + Maryland=pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie that is hilarious! Exactly -- I mean the end of the night was totally blurry and good god. But the next morning I woke up and thought, uh, what if? Whoops. :)

      Delete
  5. Melissa R.5:58 AM

    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! (could possibly be spelled wrong as I'm super excited for you!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!! I'm SO SO SO excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally oh my gosh. :) Thanks mama!

      Delete
  7. That is wonderful news, I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thank you!

      Delete
  8. DUDE!!!! Beyond thrilled. Beyond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Us too!

      Delete
  9. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I mean seriously, AHHHHHHHHHHH AHhh AHHHHHH ahhhhhhAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I get it. One day at a time, but dude, from the bottom of my heart, AHHHHHHhhHHhhhhhHHHHHH! And woo hoo. Also YAY! Will be thanking God and repeating every day. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you friend!! We are so elated. And hopeful!

      Delete

Post a Comment