Double Posting

Posted this in my Member Log for Lean Eating just now. Good stuff. 

Today I went to do WO1, and started setting up to do my front squats, and noticed the woman next to me was squatting 95 without those pin-springy things to hold the weights on the bar. I said I noticed that you're not using those springy things, do I not have to use them? Cause they're hard to squeeze. She was super nice and showed me how to squeeze the springy things to help them go on  (which I already knew) but I said, well, do I have to use them? And she looked at the weight I was squatting with (55) and said, well yes, I think for that weight you're fine. If you're just starting out, it'll be fine. 

I thought, huh, she thinks I'm just starting out. And my ego was slightly bruised, but then I thought about it and thought, you know, I started out at bodyweight, and I am DAMN PROUD of those 55 lbs I can squat with perfect form. SO, SO PROUD. I did all three sets making sure my form was absolutely perfect and my knees didn't wobble inward on those last 3 reps. 

And then in the steam room I thought, isn't that such a metaphor for life? We don't know where people are coming from, where they started, what they've been through. My work to challenge myself could be someone else's just starting out, and vice versa. I am so proud of myself for the strength gains I've made, inside and out. 

Comments

  1. I thought, isn't that such a metaphor for life? We don't know where people are coming from, where they started, what they've been through. My work to challenge myself could be someone else's just starting out, and vice versa. I am so proud of myself for the strength gains I've made, inside and out.
    I really like this. I really, really do. I saw a quote recently that has really stuck with me these days: "Comparison is the thief of joy."

    I am proud of you, too, Heather. You are constantly challenging yourself on every level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Julie, thanks! Comparison truly is that -- you don't know what other people have been through and vice versa. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment