Overcommitted = Dislike

I've been thinking about the various ways I overextend myself and the ongoing list of shoulds that seem to run my life these days.

Pete and I had a talk this weekend about how we've overextended ourselves by saying yes to every single thing that comes along. My people-pleasing uh, traits? have not helped. I'm constantly creating impossible situations for us to try desperately to be there for other people's parties, dinners, etc. And it's a great thing to do and in most cases, we've done so without question and happily.

But I'm starting to realize how all of those YES to commitments have started to pile up and make me 1. resentful 2. totally stressed out 3. miserable.

So I'm starting to say no. And part of that is stopping blogging here. There's a lot of reasons why, but I think it comes down to this weird pressure I've felt to update YOU as to what's going on with me. And it's just started to annoy me to not feel this totally weird (and self created! I know!) obligation to do it, but to not really get any feedback at all. And I'm not saying that to sound like a cocker spaniel PLEASE PET ME PRAISE ME but to just say, it's been hard to put it all out there and have the resounding message back be crickets. I've gone back and forth on this; I know it's ME putting it out there, but this is what I mean about the obligation; I felt like I needed to update you all, and well, I realize now how silly that seems. You're not obligated to comment; it's not like we're having a conversation or even emailing.

So. I realized today that if you'd like to know how I'm doing, you are well aware of how to contact me. Please do so!

I will continue blogging over at HLgetsfit, because starting today, I am committed to slimming down. Now. There's no greater time; I don't have a pregnancy on the calendar or anything to stop me. But I won't be doing a lot of navel gazing over there, just the basics. Workout and weight stats.

Comments

  1. Good for you. I know how you feel on all counts and I know it is tough. I always say YES to stuff because I am so worried about being left out of stuff. I don't know why but I think you and I fall from the same people-pleasing tree.

    Just say no and focus on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren1:53 PM

    Good job friend!!! You will really benefit from saying no once in a while. And instead of expending your energy on putting yourself out there for others, spend some time working on being okay with just being with yourself. You really are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. spend some time working on being okay with just being with yourself. You really are fantastic. I agree with Lauren!

    Hey, do what I do...blog a few times a year;)
    I do want to see how you are doing so I will check in with you! It has been a whirlwind here. I keep wanting to blog about it, but it is almost too much to say and not much to say at the same time. Weird, but true.

    Take care...you really are fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I miss you. Just wanted to tell you.
    Hope you are doing okay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:40 PM

    I'm sorry to see you go. I know you wanted to get more from blogging, and I may not have commented often, but your blog helped me with dealing with some of my infertility issues. I'm sure it helped a lot of other women too. Just thought you should know. Good luck and take care of yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment