So What DO You Eat?

Eating this way, you know, the Paleo way, isn't that hard. When people hear the milelong list of things I no longer eat, they always ask me the same thing: so what DO you eat? That's easy: protein, fat and vegetables. Fruit and protein after workouts. PS if you didn't see it this week, Dooce, the Oprah of the Internets, posted about how great she feels since switching to the Paleo diet. 

I eat the same breakfast everyday: 3 eggs with spinach cooked in a small spoonful of bacon fat. Aside: I joke a lot about bacon fat on Facebook, but in reality, I cook one package of Trader Joe's applewood smoked bacon maybe every week, and the fat produced from that lasts me 2 weeks typically. I don't slather things with it. Just a little bacon and its fat seems to really satiate; I can't crack out on that stuff. 

For lunch I typically have leftovers from our dinner, which is often steak, pork chops or chicken thighs, then I add frozen vegetables and olive oil + sea salt in a Gladware container and go, or I make a quick salad (meaning throw lettuce and sometimes if I'm really on top of things, tomatoes) in a giant Gladware container. I put some homemade mayo in a small container and add more olive oil and white wine vinegar to thin it out a bit (though it's hard to argue with straight homemade mayo as a salad dressing -- SWOON). 

For dinner we pick a meat, and Pete decides on a starch for him and Lucia: typically pasta or potatoes. We grill meat most often, then do broccoli, green beans, spinach or mashed cauliflower. I roasted a chicken the night before last, so tonight we're eating the rest of that with sauteed peppers, onions and homemade guacamole. Pete and Lucia are having tortillas to make tacos. 

I rarely snack; if I can't eat all of my lunch I might nibble on it later in the day but I'm just not that hungry eating this way. God, I never thought I would be one of those annoying people. 

It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Restaurants are hard, but I've learned to navigate most of them. Sadly, there's a new wine bar in town that offers children's table and activities (HELLO) and has something called Bacon Crack . I figured that maybe once this month we could go there, have dinner and a glass of wine and share some bacon crack. But no. The rest of the menu has dairy in virtually everything, and though I would be OK for bending the rules once, I can't really eat dairy at all without looking 4 months pregnant (sad irony!) and having the worst, room-clearing gas for days afterwards. So. We can't go there. For now. Maybe some day. But in general, for most restaurants I stick to protein and vegetables. At our favorite Italian restaurant we order the carpaccio appetizer and I eat around the shaved parmesan. At most places I get a burger without a bun and avocado and bacon and a salad with vinaigrette (avoiding balsamic vinaigrette because most restaurants add sugar to it). I never, ever look at portions or measure anything. I eat until I'm satisfied, but I do try to eat my vegetables first to make sure they get eaten. 

I made two  things this week and thought I'd pass them along. The first was meatloaf. You know I don't really follow recipes; I always have to tweak them. So here's what I did:

  • 2 lbs organic, grassfed ground beef (Trader Joe's)
  • 2 Omega 3 eggs
  • 1 little can of tomato paste (look past the BPAs!)
  • Smoked Sea Salt (Trader Joe's)
  • Afrika Smoke seasoning (Trader Joe's)
  • 2 cloves of garlic smushed up
  • 1 c almond meal (rumor has it you can buy this at TJ's, but I got mine for freaking $12 (bad) at Whole Foods)
Mix and put in a pan lined with bacon fat for extra flavor. I think next time we'll reduce to 3/4c almond meal and I don't have a proper mixer, so it was a little inconsistent, but otherwise super good. I didn't miss the oats at all. 

Next up: advanced mashed cauliflower. Now that I have perfected the cooking time for aforementioned cauliflower, we decided to mix it up last night. We made 2 heads, and I make Pete's with butter -- just butter (no milk or sour cream). Put it in the food processor and add butter, salt and pepper. The end. Die of happiness. 

For mine, I've been using olive oil, but it tastes so ... olivey. So last night I decided to use bacon fat to flavor it and the smoked sea salt. The sea salt really brings out the flavor of the bacon. I made bacon yesterday, so I threw in a slice and half for my whole head of cauliflower. The result = to die for. Pete tried both and liked mine better. I love winning. 

It is really funny, now when I have something non Paleo, like a handful of tortilla chips last night, it's just meh and I don't really get the charge that I used to out of indulging in treats. I feel like in some way I've been abducted by aliens, ending a lifetime of relying on food to get me through tough times. Now food is just food. I still enjoy it, just not in the same way. Weirdness. 


Comments

  1. Yum on the recipes.

    You know how I told you I have eating similarly, but veered off. I just do not feel as good. In fact, I have been having 'tummy trouble' & I don't tend to. It is like my body is rejecting eating all the carbs & crap.

    Sounds like you eat plenty of different foods. Strange that people would ask what you eat, ya know? Just because you are dairy free & not stuffing your face with tortilla chips and such...

    Keep it up! And believe me, after I have few tiny maple donuts & have a nightly glass of local wine here in VT (on vaca), I will be back at it. I just feel so. much. better when I eat cleaner. No cravings. Actually don't feel like eating at times. It is so freeing, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a really helpful post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment