That Other (Forgotten) Coping Mechanism

Last night when I was distraught, Pete asked, what can you do to feel better? I jokingly offered to drink a bottle of wine, or maybe eat 5 cookies, or write. He handed me the computer and said, write it is. 

So that's where yesterday's post came from, in case you were wondering. Writing continues to a way for me to express myself; there's just something about writing that enables me to think things through and process them. It's one of the first things I said when we came home from the doctor that horrible day: "I need to write."

But up until today, I had forgotten about running as a coping mechanism. I went to the gym to punch the punching bag, only to discover my gym is too foo-foo for those things; they have kickboxing but I don't think anyone kicks anything. ANYWAY, I had to find another option. I remember that day back in January I was LIVID with the diagnosis of asthma for Lucia, and ran until my lungs hurt. I had been running 90 second intervals; that day I ran for 5 whole minutes, then stopped to walk. I just told myself to keep running until I didn't feel ragey anymore. 

So that's what I did tonight. I ran 2 laps on the track until my lungs hurt, then walked one. Repeat. Each time I ran I poured over the anger and really tried to bring it up and feel it, then pound it into the track with each step. Left. Right. Left. Right. I remember doing this at my last job to combat the ongoing rage from the ridiculousness that was that job. I ran intervals then, and let the treadmill propel me and set my pace. Tonight, my anger was enough to propel me. I joked with a guy on the track who was sprinting with a gigantic weighted ball over his head that I was totally beating him, it was obvious. I felt squishy, and just decided to go with it. I still felt somewhat ragey afterwards so I walked home from work (2.2 miles). I felt everything shift about a mile in. Just shift, and soften. 

In my adaptation of the Paleo lifestyle, I have to admit in hindsight that I think I threw the baby out with the bathwater in terms of cardio; a lot of that whole dogma is so entrenched in CrossFit only or just lifting heavy or whatever. That may work for a lot of people, but I think running intervals is absolutely included in my Operating Manual. It's in the Troubleshooting section: when machine is Ragey and inconsolable, put on treadmill or track. It's pretty remarkable. 

Comments

  1. Amen, sista. Not all exercise is about being physically healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate reading these fucking miscarriage posts. I mean, I'm happy that running is helping, but I feel pretty ragey toward your situation and I'm on an opposite coast.

    Sorry. I'm sure this isn't helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, thanks. I hate reading them too, if it's any consolation. I hate that this is my reality. HATE IT. But it is.

    Thanks Amanda and Robin! I'm going to RUN HL RUN indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:35 AM

    Yep, it's why I run so much--you won't see it on my FB page but my husband has cancer that has spread to his liver and so I deal with the stress by running, working out and eating. It all balances out somehow. I tend to think running helps ease many a bad day. thinking of you
    Melissa R.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa, wow. I'm so, so sorry. My heart goes out to you. Please keep me updated. I'm sending you hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:44 PM

    Thanks, Heather! I appreciate it--we found out this past February very unexpectedly (as I guess is normal)--things are going OK right now with treatments and he's feeling good lately, thank goodness. People have been amazing with support/prayers/thoughts!
    --Melissa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment