Gearing Up

Tomorrow I'm starting the New Rules of Lifting for Abs. I know, last time I said it was too hard. And it is. It's pretty challenging. I thought about doing the New Rules of Lifting for Women again, but the Abs book is the most up to date book according to the authors and what you'd get if you trained at their gym. Funny side note: on our way back from San Diego we stopped for gas in Santa Clarita, and when I realized the aforementioned gym was about a mile away. So we went to see it. I was psyched, thinking it was going to be a humongous fancy fancy gym. Nope. It's in a strip mall. Allow me to show you. 



But considering what you see at Crossfit gyms (uh, I mean from what I've seen here on the Interwebs), less can be more. And you know when I was working with the trainer we followed the Female Body Breakthrough routines, and uh, when I actually doing the exercises right I saw great improvement in both my booty shape and performance.


So I'm committing to one month of this program. I've gone over all of the exercises, and there's a million modifications to make it less insane, but I think my mindset is a huge one: if I think IT'S GONNA BE SO INSANE AND I DUNNO IF I CAN DO THIS, well then there you go. So we're just going to focus on well, working out being somewhat challenging; um, that's what it's supposed to be. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it. Besides, the worst part is like 2 exercises, one from each of the workouts. So the rest of them make me feel good and accomplished, and those other 2, well, I'll just have to respect where I am with them. 

Step 1 of Gearing Up involves making an awesomely inspirational board on Pinterest. What? You didn't know that's the essential first step in fitness?

Step 2 = reading over the workouts and envisioning myself completing them. Sounds completely new-agey and weird, but work with me. Here's the A workout:
  • Plank (60s)
  • Side Plank (30s)
  • Split Squat with front foot elevated
  • Inverted Row
  • Romanian Deadlift
  • Pushups
The inverted row is the hardest; because my core strength is uh, negative, I require the bar to be ridiculously high and struggle with even those. Like this, but imagine the bar so much higher.
The B Workout:
  • Anti-rotation static hold (on knees, pull a cable row and hold for 30 seconds). 
  • Elevated Planks -- hold for 10 seconds, rest for 2-3, then repeat. TEN TIMES. 

Elevated side planks: hold for 10 seconds, then repeat five times. I just want to cry at the end of these.

Obviously, those are hardest parts of the workout.
Then:
  • Single leg DB Romanian Deadlift
  • DB Alternating Shoulder Press (leaving one arm up at all times)
  • Overhead Squat (using um, a light bodybar so you can go really deep into the squat)
  • Cable Kneeling Pulldown (like a lat pulldown but you're on your knees)
The B workout is no question, harder for me than the A. But again, it's important to respect where I am and not load the weights so heavy where I can't complete the set and/or cannot walk a week afterwards.


Quick pep talk to self: I can do this. I can do this. I've done it before. It's OK for it to be hard. :) 

Step 3 = Before shots. Gah. Trying not to hyperventilate over posting these. My shape has changed so much since having Lucia. I've never had a belly. It's weird. I guess my core is out of shape. Which maybe is why those exercises above are so hard -- hello obvious statements.





Also, just a note about Before pics: I know some people poo-poo them because they think the person is trying to shame themselves into behavior change, ala BAD HEATHER JUST LOOK AT YOURSELF. I don't feel that way at all about these pictures. Considering I imagine myself in my head in a far different place where I am, these pictures are a wonderful, albeit difficult to reconcile, wake up call and snapshot of reality. Plus, it's a BEFORE shot. Not an after. Go see my Pinterest board for some amazing transformation pictures, including those of women with tons of stretch marks like moi. It's a starting place. I don't feel ashamed at all. It is where I am. For some people my Before shot would be their after.

Step 4 = Packing gym bag for tomorrow and planning what I'm eating immediately after, since the Whole 30 doesn't allow protein powder. Plan on wearing clothes that make me feel great and strong, ahem not those shorts. :) 


Step 5 = Do not plan for anything else fitness wise in the first few weeks. Just 3 workouts a week, recovering, getting tons of sleep, and foam rolling to work the soreness out. There's no insane plan here of 6 workouts a week and then the inevitable mental gymnastics I have done in the past. Three workouts a week, plain and simple.

So here I go. Three cheers for kicking my own butt and that before picture.


Comments

  1. I am excited to see how it goes!!

    Go Heather!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Julie you are always so supportive! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking at your before photos and I just want you to know that you may not see what I see but you look amazing my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw thanks Amanda! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment