My Grandmother

Thanks for the thoughts, prayers and love about my Grandmother. She is not doing well, but better than Tuesday. She's got a host of problems, and for her privacy, I won't list them here, but I think my mom said it best: we're not sure which direction to pray; that she recovers or doesn't. I flew to Florida Tuesday night on the redeye and arrived in West Palm Beach around 11 a.m. I was greeted by my cousins, who I haven't seen since 2006. My cousin's wife is a paramedic and truly invaluable at playing interpreter for us. She knew what to ask and taught me to ask the nurses for extra help to make my Grandmother more comfortable. 

I held her hand and told her how much I loved her.  I stroked her hair and held her cheek to mine, like Pete and I do when we need comfort. I told her she was the greatest Grandmother anyone would ask for. I cried. I hugged my mom and tried to talk to her as much as possible about how she was feeling (it's what I would want in that situation) and grew angry when others piled more on her plate. Yesterday morning before heading over to the hospital, I took lots of pictures of my Grandmother's house and tried to imprint in my memory the things I grew up seeing and smelling, even though it's not the house I visited as a child.The old telephone. The feel of the towels. The smell of her. If she recovers, she will most likely be moving to assisted living, so some of her things won't be going with her. 

I got in around 1 a.m. this morning. I'm tired but so thankful I got the time with her. 

Comments

  1. What a lovely post. So glad you got to spend that time with her. xoxox

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment