Do One Thing That Scares You: Dreams Edition

I've had some career dreams for most of my life. Being a nurse is one of those. I volunteered at a hospital one summer in high school and loved it; I also worked at a nursing home that summer and also loved it. My freshman year of college, my sister died, and while I was interested in nursing, it kinda fizzled. I got scared I wouldn't be able to hack the chemistry requirements, as my high school chemistry teacher would literally make up our grades. I didn't learn one single thing in chemistry. Not one! I got intimidated in college that I wouldn't be able to keep up, and nursing was for science minded people and I'm really not like that, so I'll pursue something I'm good at: talking. Literally, my major was speech communication. Talking. For a living. Because lord knows I do that well. I meandered into journalism, learned how to write, learned environmental policy, and have loved furthering my career. I love what I do, and love the complexities of the various projects I work on. But the things I love about my job could be applied to many, many careers: working with people, developing solutions to problems, mapping out a strategy, and tweaking as it evolves.  

The nursing thing keeps nagging me though. Nagging nagging nagging. You should go do that. You'd be great at it. When are you going to do that? 

Last night I went to see Amy T, who you've seen comment here. She had twins 4 weeks ago and one of them has RSV and is in the hospital. 

Side but very important note:
Please say a prayer for Amy and her family. It looks like the other twin might have it now too. They have a 2 year old at home as well and she's 2 hours away from home. Please, please say a prayer that they're going to be just fine. 

The nurse who attended to him was amazing; charming without ego, and she was able to be funny and sweet at the same time. I asked her how long she'd been a nurse, and she said a year, but only 6 months at this hospital. I was surprised. I asked what she did before; she said she was a journalist. Interesting. We talked a bit more about my fear of chemistry, and she said it was hard but not OMG I'M GONNA DIE hard. 

So the lesson here, the thing I'm working on is just letting that dream kinda marinate. Not SIGNING! UP! FOR! CLASSES! today but just observing and thinking, hey there's that thought again. I don't know if it's going to come to fruition or how, but it's nice just to let it have the space to be. 

Comments

  1. I'm in the same boat. I've been dreaming/thinking about being a physical therapy, public health or registered dietician for years now and yet I let the science and the fact that I don't KNOW exactly what career path I want to follow let me not do anything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow, this is intense. i thought for sure it was going to be clinique lady. i'm joking. i mean, not joking because i'd get so many free samples...or SO! MANY! FREE! SAMPLES! as you say :)
    but hl, this is intense. listen to this voice. i'm really intrigued!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a former-reporter friend who's almost finished with nursing school. Can put you in touch if you like!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment