What if I don't want to move?

I don't think I want to move. I love our apartment. LOVE. It's not perfect, but it's pretty wonderful. The thought of moving -- all of it, the boxes, the hassle, the unknowing your neighbors, neighborhood and where the damn Walgreens is, seems completely overwhelming. Our current place is amazing because of the high ceilings, walk-ability, awesome landlord and the fact we don't live above or below anyone. Looking at our prospects, I'm not optimistic we'll find anything. Plus the race to be the first takers or act now or lose the apartment! really stresses me out and makes me unable to think clearly. Once we do find a place, how quickly will we need to move? Do we ask friends to help us move again? Don't you think they're probably sick of doing that? 

It's not reasonable, I know. Moving to a closer location would enable me to be a lot less stressed and tired; the commute is inexplicably draining. It's about 2.5 hours a day, sometimes 3. Moving to a closer place would enable me to go to the gym, get enough sleep and spend more time with Pete and Lucia. I know. I know I know. Sigh. 

Comments

  1. I'm thinking you should give yourself time to get used to the commute before you decide that you can't do it anymore. Unfortunately, that's why most people commute. They love where they live and don't want to live where they work. Oy. Hey! It's closer than Mobile, AL. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to agree with Robin. As someone who commutes a minimum of 1.5 hours one way, I do it because I love where I live. It took a long time to have that. I "liked" San Jose enough, but it wasn't where I wanted to be, and I knew that. And, while I am not trying to sound pessimistic, nothing in the the world of jobs is guaranteed to be permanent. It is better to be happier where you live than to try to force a life around where you think you should be. Give it time and maybe re-evaluate after six months or a year. Yes, I bitch daily about my commute, but it's my life now and keeping with the big picture in the end that is important. Hang in there and listen to your gut!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment