These Are a Few of My Favorite Things

Did I get the song stuck in your head? Good.

I'm feeling better this morning; so is Pete. I think having an end-date for LG's arrival makes me feel a lot better about things -- you know me, I've got to have a goal to work towards. For some reason my due date wasn't enough of one.

I've been thinking about writing this post -- my favorite Trader Joe's things -- for a while. Not because it's earth-shattering, but because I've been trying new things and you know I'm all about updating you. So here's the list:
  1. Zen Bakery Blueberry/Raspberry Oat Bran muffins. Gluten free. Vegan. No sugar added. Freaking awesome. These are SO good. I LOVE Bran muffins, but can't handle them tasting like a giant cupcake. These are 270 calories for the whole giant muffin.
  2. Panko encrusted Tilapia (freezer aisle). Yes, I know that Whole Foods sells panko breadcrumbs in the bulk aisle and I could just as well coat chicken or fish in egg then panko, but this is already done for me. Flaky fish + crispy, non greasy crust = awesomeness.
  3. Ezekial 4:9 bread, cinnamon raisin. This plus Trader Joe's creamy salted natural peanut butter is my breakfast every day.
  4. Van's Multigrain Waffles -- tasty!! And they're like $1.89 for 6! These plus natural peanut butter = also delicious.
  5. Three-pepper salsa. This is some tasty stuff, and I realized after the freaking GDM diagnosis why: it has sugar in it. STILL it's nice with sour cream.
  6. Trader Joe's brand dark chocolate -- purple/silvery package. Mary showed me these, and we tried it and likey. They're $1.50 for three bars! Dude.
  7. Oatmeal cookies. Look, you go to Starbucks and buy a cookie = $2. You go to Trader Joe's and buy a freaking 10-pack of cookies = $3. I put these in the freezer so I don't have to look at them all day. These are less greasy (read: possibly healthier) than other oatmeal raisin cookies I've tried, and they are about 240 calories each. I will not be sharing these with the hospital nurses (but I will be bringing chocolate chip cookies for them).
  8. Organic three-cheese pizza. If you're feeling like eating a whole pizza, this is the one to get, it's less than 1,000 calories. :) No seriously, these pizzas are perfect for dressing up with vegetables, chicken, prosciutto, etc. We put pesto, romano and prosciutto on one the other night and Pete said it kicked ass.

Products I've tried that I would NOT recommend:
  1. Breaded chicken strips (freezer aisle). I got these for Pete, thinking that we'd put some prosciutto (Pete's obsessed with prosciutto) and gruyere and pesto on them and voila, have an instant dinner that he'd like. But they're very greasy, even when you cook them forever at a high temp. Damn.
  2. Chicken pesto panini (freezer aisle). Pete said it tasted like the freezer. Damn.
  3. Organic romaine lettuce -- their lettuce turns brown about 5 minutes after opening the bag. So annoying.
  4. Sweet potato fries. Back in the good ol days, Trader Joe's sold sweet potato fries that were just basically sliced sweet potatoes. You roasted them, and they were amazing. Then they went away. Now they're back, only they've been FRIED so when you try to roast them, they just taste poopy.
  5. Ridge cut potato chips. Pete LOVES chips. Each time we try these, we both feel sick. They're too thick/oily/spicy. No thanks. We're actually going to throw these away rather than try to struggle through eating them.
That's all I can think of. I'm testing my blood in three minutes, then I get to have a bran muffin and coffee. Ahhhhhhh. So excited.

Comments

  1. Reading about your due date reminds me of when our twins were given the green light. The doctor came into the room, Jill had been on hospital-bed-rest for about six months (OK, it wasn't that long, but it felt like it), and he says, "How about tomorrow?" We were like, "OH! OK!!"

    Suddenly, after months of waiting, we felt like we had no time to prepare, but then again, we were completely prepared, but we felt so unready, but we were ready, but tomorrow? It came so fast and yet took so long. It's amazing.

    And yes, TJ's rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 Comments from the Rohde's? Crazy!
    I LOVE Trader Joe's too!
    Thanks for the tips-can't wait to try the tilapia, the cinnamon bread and the waffles. And chocolate of course.
    We found this cereal there that the kids go berzerkers for-but of course right now I can't remember what it is. But it's yummy and healthy. And lil J likes the veggie corn dogs.
    j

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if thinking about food makes my blood sugar change... hmmm... I want to not be pregnant anymore. Anyways...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment