It's Not Me, It's You

There's this woman at work, who's a few years older than me, but we're among the young people who work here. We've hung out a few times and I find her to have some um, boundary/codependency issues. We rarely see each other (her job requires a lot of international travel) but whenever we do, she always turns our "talks" into therapy sessions. Dude. She's an oversharer. I've tried to tell her that you know, I saw a therapist for a long time and it really helped. And worse, her main beef is that she's lonely, which makes me feel guilty because I live about 10 minutes away from her, and when she has tried to make efforts to hang out in the past, I dodge her for the aforementioned reasons. Oversharing + therapy session = not a blast to be around.

Still I feel bad.

Comments

  1. Anonymous8:37 AM

    Heather,
    Don't feel bad. Your plate is really full.She needs to make some new friends. N

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avoid.
    Deploy.
    Deploy.

    Don't feel bad. You are only responsible for your own issues. No need to take on other people's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dude, don't talk about me like that on your blog. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks N!

    POM -- totally. She hugged me twice or maybe even three times yesterday and said she wanted to be just like me. I tried showing her my stretch marks to give her a dose of reality. Nothing was working. I was desperate.

    Oh Robin, so sorry! Thought you were on vacation and it was safe to write about you! ;) Wouldn't that be hilarious!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bahahaha! I didn't even think about that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes. That is creepy. Not even borderline creepy - full fledged creepy. Needy is not the new black.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There was this one time, at my previous job, when this person came up to me and started telling me all about her boyfriend troubles. I kind of looked at her and asked, "Why are you telling me this?" She replied back, "Because you're my friend." I didn't really answer that. I got a really confused look on my face and I turned to my computer monitor. She eventually left. This was a person that I said Hi to in passing. We hung out in a group situation maybe once. We were definitely not friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow I wanna know who it is! Soon as you say it I'll probably be like, oh YEAH!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment