Clearly I Spoke Too Soon

***Update in the comments***

It is NOT going ok today with the GDM. Aside from the eye-watering acid reflux, I tested 162 after lunch today. I can't say definitively why it went so high, but I suspect it was the addition of the extra carb at my mid-morning snack, as the dietician suggested yesterday to help boost my energy. It also did not help that my previously planned lunch of turkey wrap went out the window when I realized that TURKEY from Safeway has added sugar. I feel like I can't win for losing. I had half a Starbucks cookie last week and my blood sugar was fine. I had pizza Monday night and it was fine. But a steak wrap with milk - 162? What the hell?

I had a good cry about the whole thing. It's stressful. I'm tired of it.

But I have dried my tears, showered, put on clean clothes (Pete did 7 loads of laundry today yay!!!), put in my new hair product, and I'm off to Whole Foods, prices be damned, to get some good food that'll make me happy and eating on track. Well let's hope it'll be on track anyway.

Comments

  1. What a freaking pain! I can't believe how complicated this is! You're doing a great job managing it though...I hope your Whole Foods trip was fruitful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, I'm sorry. Hopefully Whole Foods (and pretty hair) will cheer you up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy -- SERIOUSLY such a pain. I got strawberries, chicken, peaches, and many other things. I grilled chicken for dinner and added it to my spinach/strawberry/goat cheese salad. Delish!

    Robin, thanks! The great news is my hair looked stunning for the errands. And the changing table is DONE! Pictures to come...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:51 PM

    Sugar in everything, even bacon ............. Heard about STEVIA before?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Anon. I'm not big on artificial sweeteners, especially the newer ones that haven't been tested in trials, etc. etc.

    But thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:16 PM

    STEVIA is a natural stuff 100%. Google it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Anon:

    Exactly how would Stevia, even if I wanted to eat it, help me with my blood sugar? I suppose it could if I was switching from an all-sugar diet. However, I am off sugar. Completely. Minus the cookie I had last night cause I was just so mad about the whole day. Caveats: it was oatmeal (more fiber = slower spike in blood sugar) and I had it with peanut butter.

    I'm not sure how Stevia would help in this situation. The point of the post is that 1. sugar is in everything 2. keeping my blood sugar within range is trickier than I thought it would be.

    Stevia, Splenda or Sweet and Low wouldn't really help here. EVEN if I wanted to eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Update!!!

    I had to use a new bottle of test strips today from the same box as the previous container, and when I tested the control solution, the test strips were OFF! This COULD mean that the test strips this past week were off -- thus the completely wacky and non-sensical readings.

    I tested another bottle of strips and they were fine, I've used them all day and my values have been fine.

    Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This COULD mean that the test strips this past week were off -- thus the completely wacky and non-sensical readings.


    Oh my gosh. Really? bad test strips?
    That's annoying and comforting at the same time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment