"You Have Gestational Diabetes"

Well that's one way to start Monday.

Comments

  1. Oh shit. That sucks. I'm really sorry. What else did they say? I am guessing they are putting you on a special diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude I know exactly how you feel right now! I also GD. Once you visit the dietician and get your menu rolling you will do great! Hang in there. It was NOT what I wanted to hear when I was eating huge bowls of vanilla ice cream with fruit and choco sauce every nite!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, man, that sucks. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks gals. I have to go to a class and learn how to eat balanced meals (cookies and ice cream aren't???) and will likely have to test my blood several times a day. Dammit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh crap.
    On the positive side, maybe the class with help with eating stuff and new recipes, etc.

    I'm not really up to speed on what GD really is. I know A LOT of diabetes though (my best friend growing up had it - I can give shots thanks to her!)

    Is Baby Girl ok?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Baby girl and mama will be at risk for developing Type 2 diabetes for the rest of our lives. THAT's the thing that has made me weep at my desk this a.m. All the things I wanted to pass down to her, a chance at obesity was not one of them. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. well I actually gasped when I read that.

    It seems your body was doing a really good job of communicating with you though!

    And my aunt had gestational diabetes and neither she nor her daughters have gotten Type 2. Their in their 20s now.

    I'm assuming you did the fasting thing more than once before they diagnosed you? I read high the first test with Baby but was fine when they did that horrendous multiple hour one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mrs F, I know. I had a hunch a few weeks ago and couldn't shake it. Good to know about your nieces. I did the horrendous multiple hour test yesterday, and my values were elevated for 3/4 of the blood samples.

    I'm FINE with not eating sugar. Really, I am. But I am not fine with screwing up Little Girl. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heather - "Baby girl and mama will be at risk for developing Type 2 diabetes for the rest of our lives. THAT's the thing that has made me weep at my desk this a.m. All the things I wanted to pass down to her, a chance at obesity was not one of them."

    Please correct me if I'm wrong. But I thought being obese put you at risk for getting type 2 diabetes but didn't think that being at risk for type 2 puts you at risk for being obese. I thought the weight came first. Like I said, I could be wrong, but I have a lot of experience. Both my dad and little sister had type 1 diabetes, and my mom has type 2. I could still be totally talking out of my ass though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here's what I read this morning:
    http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/gestational/

    and the stuff at Baby Center and WebMD.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the link. Very interesting.

    The good news is that it sounds like most of the risk factors happen only if it is undiagnosed or uncontrolled. You've been diagnosed, and I know that you will control it like nobody's business. :)

    Thinking about you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Im sorry this sucks, and Im sure Baby Girl will be fine. My family has diabetes running like crazy through it, its always been my biggest motivator to eat healthy and stay active pregnant or not I never said I want to be skinny I just say I dont want diabetes. By the way my mother had GD with me and all my sibs after thats 6 after me and none of us have diabetes or GD in any of our pregnancies and were not all stick figures or profesional athletes either. Are you counting down the weeks yet, Im sure its all going to be ok!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah hell Heather I'm really sorry to hear it. I was totally not expecting you to be positive!

    Hang in there and let us know how the class goes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry to hear that Snakey. On the positive side...you wanted to cut the sugar out of your diet anyway, right? So look at this as the opportunity to get professional help with eating plans and recipes you would want to follow regardless. And the bonus is that it's covered by insurance, right?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks everyone. Good point Newmie! I walked on the treadmill yesterday, brought my gym bag today and am trying to read up only on reputable websites. :) I added a boatload of roasted chicken to our pasta dinner last night to balance it out. I'm 100% positive the diet change is no prob -- what was hard was thinking about potentially harming little girl. But I'm better today. Little Girl is going to grow up eating healthy -- this is a good start! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment