GDM News

I went to see my doc today. Since last week's diagnosis, I assumed that the reason I got GDM was because I had gained so much weight. And I had felt really guilty and more than a little ashamed about it -- along with all of the other feelings of being generally overwhelmed. So I say to my doc, "this is because I gained so much weight, right?" Her answer: "No, actually just the opposite. You have gained so much weight because your body's metabolism isn't working properly and you're just storing it all."

me: blink blink. "Are you serious? Are you sure? It wasn't because I was eating cookies and brownies?"

her: I'm positive. 

I am extremely relieved. What a load off. I've always known I've had a um, difficult metabolism, but little did I know, this was the culprit in this case. Wow. 

Other news from doc visit: no news. Baby girl is about 3.5 lbs (not Frankenbaby, phew!) and right on target for arrival in 8 weeks. I heard her heartbeat and told the doc that frankly, the kick count wasn't necessary, as she was a total spaz in there ALL THE TIME. She said that's great -- good to have an active baby. 

Comments

  1. Megan4:49 AM

    Yeah! That's great news. Eight weeks and counting. It's soooooooooooo close!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's awesome news!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news!! What a relief. I'm so happy that your doc was able to help you let go of the guilt.

    8 weeks? She is going to be here before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 8 weeks is going to FLY by! I'm glad you talked to the Doc about that. There is no need for guilt on top of all the other pre-mama stresses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome news! Well, you know what I mean.

    I kind of have been ignoring my kick count as well. I only start to think about it when he's unusually quiet.

    Yay, 8 more weeks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is JUST around the corner gals! Only 6 more weeks of working UNTIL JANUARY -- woo woo!!

    Thanks for the supportive comments. I feel really relieved -- still whaleish but definitely relieved. I'm going to do some more research on metabolism to figure out how to get mine up to optimal condition post-baby. I suspect more strength training is in order!

    Amy T-- forget the kick counts as long as he's rockin and rollin in there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. See...you are too hard on yourself mama. You're doing great!:)

    Thanks for being a great friend even though we're seperated by the f'ing midwest.:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every time I see GDM, I think goddam. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Newmie! And you're welcome!

    Robin, that's a lot better than what I call it. I told my brother tonight to enjoy his effing ice cream and I hope he dropped it.

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment