The Green Grass is Actually Right Here

God, I'm moody. But I've wanted to post this since the weekend, and I'm hoping it swings my mood into a more positive direction.

So here's the gist. The grass will always, always, always be greener if you focus on looking elsewhere. Here we're worrying about where we'll live and where we'll work and blah blah blah and were basically worrying out loud at a friend's house the other night, and our very sane friend said, "Just be happy."

and friends, this is a new concept for me. (This is probably what recently led me to the book Loving What Is -- just for the title alone! ) Except that it isn't. I remember, then I forget. Constantly. I get so caught up in the well in a perfect world this is how things should be and caught up in the ratrace of things, I lose sight of being friggin happy and thankful with Right Here, Right Now, cause the Green Grass is Actually Right Here.

Example 1: We have got move. There's no way we'll have enough space in here for a baby, and it would be really nice to have a third bedroom for house guests. We should move closer to our friends.

Green Grass is Actually Right Here Version: Um, dude. It would be easier from a stress and money perspective to just stay here. The property managers have said they're evicting Snoop Dogg and his posse, so the shenanigans will likely settle down. We can move things around; consolidate furniture, clean out closets. We'll figure it out. Baby doesn't care where we live. The second bedroom can remain a guest room cause Baby will be in bassinett, etc. most of the time anyway. Our place has definite benefits: pool, fitness center, gas grill, cheap rent for sq. footage. The rental market in the bay area is CRAZY tight, and it just doesn't feel like it's a good time to be moving.

Example 2: God this job sucks the life out of me somedays. I have GOT to get a new one.

Green Grass is Actually Right Here Version: This job pays me really well. This job gets better every day. We have a new VP who (rightly) thinks I kick ass. I just got an office, with an actual door. My boss has been incredibly supportive, telling me to go home if I don't feel well, and that I can work from home as much as I want. I'm 98% positive that if I stay here I can work out a work-from-home one day a week deal post-baby. My very smart aunt also noted that at a new job I'll need to be at the top of my game, which is hardly what I feel like these days, with the nausea and exhaustion and hormonal-ness. It's not perfect, but it's getting better, and I think as my priorities shift in the next few months/years, it's good enough.

I'm going to try to apply this to other areas where it looks like the grass is much greener if I have/do/change something.




Comments