The Difference Between My Two Main Books

Here it is:

I'm reading What to Expect When You're Expecting and The Pregnancy Book, by the famous Dr. Sears' team. I also spend some time on their websites. The What To Expect (WTE) website reminds me of TheKnot.com, where brides go completely batty describing every last fold of every napkin to perfection, because OBVIOUSLY this means they'll have a happy marriage, right?

So the WTE website has a community chat room. Many, many of these women have filled out complete profiles, with due day predictions, like, your baby will be born in the afternoon, the moon will be full, you'll have X hours of labor, blah blah blah, and there's glittery banners and crap like that people can put on their profiles. Barf. No really. And these are the women who are due the same time as me! I can't believe they're thinking ahead that far. I'm trying to keep my lunch down, and from this migraine headache to go away <-- no literally, I have a migraine and I'm trying to be a good soldier here at work, even though my main remedy, diet coke, is not technically allowed. Sobbbbb.

Also, the "your baby this week" feature is SO freaking cheesy: this is one of the sentences for week 5: When those tubes fuse together, your baby will have a fully functioning heart (though it almost certainly already has its grip on yours).

Pass the vomit bag!

Contrast this with the Dr. Sears book which has a WHOLE chapter on concerns about gaining weight and pregnancy body image, including this nugget: As your waistband tightens, you will need to make adjustments in both your clothing and in your attitude toward your body. This is the first step in coming to terms with your pregnant body image.

This is what feels more authentic to me -- the acknowledgement that it's uh, an adjustment. Not that everything is coated in freaking Winnie-The-Pooh print.


Comments

  1. I'm with ya. Realistic is much better. Save the pooh bear and whimsical bullshit for the 9th month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I'm a huge Sears fan. I actually hated the WTE book... I don't think they had a website when I was pregs with Kid and when I was pregs with Baby I didn't give a shit ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hated the WTE book. I don't know if it has been updated since I read it, but I remember the food/nutrition (the best odds diet or something) was a tad overboard where it said something like "you can have a small treat once a month".No sugar, no white flour...Huh? you got to be kidding me.

    Dr. Sears = very cool

    I sometimes felt like there was almost too much information...
    too many things to worry about. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. I had no idea that some doctors were recommending that pregnant women not eat peanut butter as the baby could wind up with an allergy...that is what I ate every single day with my first preg. No allergies here. Heck, I was so sick during my pregnancies that I just tried to get something in me. Although, I do still wonder if my 2nd child's lower birth weight (than my first preemie baby) was due to my sour jelly belly bean addiction during the last 2 weeks of pregnancy. We moms are always trying to blame ourselves for something:)

    Just be good to yourself, get lots of rest and enjoy your pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly -- I'm glad everyone agrees the WTE book is annoying as hell. Once a month treat? What the hell? When all I can choke down for lunch is a banana and wheat thins, I'm going to eat what I want when my appetite comes back. But what really gets me is the extreme perspective PLUS the freaking Winnie the Pooh aren't-you-so-filled-with-love?

    Actually, no, I'm not. I'm filled with gas and poo, to be honest. Pregnancy constipation is a real treat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Yes the food crap in WTE was CRAZY. I didn't want to specifically say that since like Julie I haven't read a recent copy... but nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you seen The Nest? It is an 'after marriage' extension of The Knot. If you go to the Babies on the Brain or BOTB board it is way crazy. Lots of drama. Which is sometimes entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooooh yeah, I remember WTE and being fairly annoyed with it. I swear I have blocked out SO much...

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Sears rock. Get all of the books...or ask for them if you have a shower.

    There are some pretty good "dad books" out there too. I read a couple of these.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment