Aiming for Moderation

If you've read my blog or known me longer than 5 minutes, you probably just laughed out loud reading the headline. Yes, I am aware that moderation is not my strong suit. I've always been this way, but I really think I'm getting better at it, in some areas.

I really think the pregnancy is going to be good for me in this way. I'm reading TONS about pregnancy; the worries, the fears, the changes in my body, the changes in my brain, the changes in me psychologically, and I really think this is going to be one of them.

But it's hard, you know? I'm trying really hard to make healthy choices when it comes to food, but not restrict myself. My cravings are salt, milk and carbs. I talked with a woman this weekend who has a precious three-month-old; she said she can't have dairy now, and wonders if she overdid it during the pregnancy with milk. This doesn't bode well for my postpartum diet, given my cravings. So I'm trying to work in vegetables, fruit and protein in between milk and whole grain bread.

My good friend told me when I was planning the wedding to pick things I want to care about, and let the other stuff go: I've decided to apply the same rule to my pregnancy.

My key issue: environmental toxins. I've taken everything with parabens out of my beauty/skin care rotation, which was hard cause I feel really strongly about that Redken Smooth Down line and my Aveeno Creamy Body Oil. But I've read up on it, and felt it was important to cut it out. I haven't worn nail polish in 3-4 months. I sufficiently yelled at Peter for using Drano (the fumes) in our bathroom sink (which doesn't have a window). When the time comes, we'll be doing the whole green nursery thing<--- BTW, I really hate that the term GREEN is now a cause for people to roll their eyes. The issues are important; it's not a fad. I read about a book on it; I'm gonna get it. (That Borders Rewards perk is bankrupting me!!)

I have no idea what I'm missing on; I suppose it would be nutrition. But honestly, my default setting is healthy and I'm doing just fine.

I'm going to try to get in a few walks this week; but we'll see how it goes. My schedule is insane and I'm learning how to say no a lot in order to make time for myself, and Da Wee, as I have named that little thing inside me.

Comments