SF, you are weird

Sometimes I really miss living in San Francisco, especially on the weekends when we have to drive about 100 miles round trip to see our friends and go out. Don't get me wrong, I don't miss the parking tickets, the commute to work, the cramped apartment, the homeless people, the general icky parts of the city... but sometimes I really miss the great parts of the city. The charm of the architecture. The ability to be literally whoever you want -- there's room for you in SF. Every city has an undercurrent of something; for SF it's weirdness. There were days when I first moved there 2 years ago that I'd test the weirdness by walking my dog in bright green fleece pants with monkey faces on them. No one ever noticed. 

But friends, I do not miss this kind of stuff. The outrageous-ness for the sake of being outrageous -- rational policy doesn't really matter here -- it's Let's Be Outrageous! 

Mind you, I was all for the ban on styrofoam containers and plastic bags -- though I thought they should encourage (with incentives) the businesses to charge for bags rather than BAN them. I guess I'm more moderate on these things than I imagined. 

I don't drink soda anymore, er except for a diet coke maybe once in a while. I think soda is inherently bad for people. But to ban it, as the sole cause of obesity? So if I go into 7-11, say, I can get a hot dog, fritos, processed cheese sauce, and 17 Kit-Kats and be totally ok, obesity-wise?

Give me a break!

Comments

  1. Here's the thing you have to start somewhere and taxes on things do help discourage them. It is one of the many reasons smoking rates actually declined. So this is one step in the direction of trying to correct things. Right now healthy foods are actually more expensive while you can go get a big mac extra value meal for way less. The food and beverage industry hates things like this but so did big tobacco. Should the tax kit kats too- probably basically it would help from a public health standpoint if high calorie high fat foods cost more and healthy food cost less. Don't think this matters look at potions size today vs 20 years ago and see our expanding waist lines

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good point, and I think it's important to start a dialogue of the cost of eating healthy. BUT that's not how the politicians in SF see it -- they see it as this should be the actual policy -- not as a straw man to start a dialogue. That's what annoys me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment