If I used the phrase "I heart" this is where I'd use it

I love Oprah. Here's why:

  • She's real, people. She struggles with her weight continually, and doesn't hide it. Her latest cover of O shows her in pajamas covered up to her chest, poor thing. She's gained some weight due to a pesky thyroid issue, apparently. And you know with her if it was really because of eating a dozen donuts a day, she'd be brave enough to say so. You don't see her, like some people with her prestige, talking about how effortless weight loss is and how she LOVES to work out and eat chicken breasts all the live-long day.
  • She's committed to educating women about how to live their best lives. Really, who else is doing that? Angelina Jolie? She does good things, but really, by teaching women to live their best lives enables us to give back and creates a ripple effect across communities. Seriously. The cumulative effect of positive, confident women who aren't afraid to ask for what they want is HUGE.
  • She's taking a tremendous gamble to back Obama. Think of the fallout from that book author who fabricated his book. Imagine if Obama has some skeleton that comes out and wacks Oprah on the head; it'll be like James Frey times eleventy-hundred. Seriously; she's taking a HUUUGE gamble with her image and brand to back a political candidate -- especially at the expense of Hillary and Bill (how I love thee).

You can make fun of me if you want. I'm a subscriber to O and while I'm younger than the target demographic, I really enjoy it. It's meaty and substantitive and topical to the things that matter at the end of the day. Not the latest get-thin-quick scheme or 10 ways to make your man love you more, but topics that matter.

Comments

  1. Anonymous4:51 PM

    I LOVE O! It is the best magazine. I found the articles on quitting and "be happy now" especially timely this month.

    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean, really? Is there a more hopeful, uplifting, you're-not-alone magazine out there? Nooooo!

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment