Hi Sleep, Remember Me?

Last night my husband was in a mood in which he reverts to an obnoxious, passive-aggressive, attention needing teenager. It's a real hoot when that happens (which thankfully isn't often).

Why am I telling you this? Because the man has become my darn-near therapist for post-work talk. Mind you, I've already unwound at the gym, but when he asks me about my day, I tell him. I get all wound up sometimes; last night was one of them, only because I tolerated him all evening, we didn't get a chance to talk about it. So we talked about it at 11. We watched the Biggest Loser (he won't admit, but he likes the show), then Law and Order: SVU, in which I am now totally coveting Mariska Hargitay's haircut and spent the better part of the show wondering if I could do a curly version without looking like a pea-head or a labradoodle. So we started talking about work, at 11 last night. This meant I got all wound up and realized that stuff was really making me nervous, since talking is my go-to medium.

If you ever suffer from insomnia, as I do from time-to-time, you're undeniably familiar with the panic that sets in when you realize it's oh say, 1 a.m., and you have a say, 8 a.m. meeting at which you need to be on top of your game. That panic came, but then MORE panic = ohmygod maybe all of this is because I'm going to meditation class tomorrow and this is my ego talking and what if I'm never able to tame this ego and that means I'm screwed up and will never get it together. Basically all my demons, which I have worked hard to identify and shrink, staged a coup and took over.

Then Snuggly McSnuggler, wrapped in his full sweatshirt and fleece pants, yet hogging the covers and somehow freezing, was trying to make up for the day's paper-airplane throwing by snuggling, and literally leaving me with one measly fifth of the bed. And then his allergies kicked in and he makes this god awful chewing sound, which is just him scratching the back of his throat with his tongue.

I'm telling you all of this because I'm skipping my damn workout today. I'm tired. I will fall right asleep in meditation class unless I can go for a head-clearing walk with my dog beforehand, and thanks to a late meeting here, the workout is just not feasible.

Comments

  1. Megan5:09 AM

    You know Mariska is my girlfriend. That hair cut would look killer on you.

    Also, that was the best episode ever. I screamed, I cried. it was amazing. Whew... Emotional rollercoaster...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment